Please print out the following and when completed return to Cottage Education for grading - You may call (352)742-7323 for instructions on how to return this form.
STUDENT'S NAME _____________________________________________________________
1. CAPITAL LETTERS ENG. 20
Directions: Underline small letters that are used incorrectly and place capital letters above the small letters. Underline capital letters that are used incorrectly and write small letters above the capital letters.
1. On tuesdays I have classes in latin, Physics, and english.
2. We are going to the Lake shore club for Lunch next Friday.
3. The senior class is giving a Dance at the Hilton hotel.
4. Every american should be familiar with the Declaration of independence.
5. There is a new woolworth store on fifth Avenue in New york.
2. PARTS OF SPEECH ENG. 200
Directions: On the lines at the right, indicate the part of speech of each of the underlined words: noun, pronoun, verb or verb phrase, adjective, adverb, preposition, conjunction, interjection.
6. Many left the game early. ______________ ______________
7. The other men voted against the bill. ______________ ______________
8. Hurray! We finally won a game. ______________ ______________
9. Do not criticize him if he seems nervous. ______________ ______________
10. We shall leave for Paris in two days. ______________ ______________
3. SUBJECT AND PREDICATE ENG. 300
Directions: Write the simple subject and the simple predicate on the lines to the right.
Simple Subject Simple Predicate
11. There will be several applicants for the position. ________________ _______________
12. Study the illustrations carefully. ________________ _______________
13. Half of the street has been paved. ________________ _______________
14. Isn't that a new Cadillac? ________________ _______________
15. All of the legal papers have been returned. ________________ _______________
4. KINDS OF SENTENCES ENG. 300
Directions: Indicate the kind of sentence on the line at the right: declarative, interrogative, exclamatory, imperative.
16. What a beautiful view this is! ____________________________
17. There was a very heavy frost last night.________________________
18. Mr. Chairman, did anyone second that motion? ____________________________
Directions: Indicate the kind of sentence on the line at the right: simple, complex, compound.
19. I shall be at the station when you arrive. ______________________________
20. The author and the producer met and discussed ______________________________
5. PLURAL OF NOUNS ENG. 400
Directions: Write the plural of each of the following nouns on the line at the right of the word.
21. goose ____________ 22. sheep ____________ 23. father-in-law ____________
24. veto______________ 25. quantity ___________ 26. man-of-war _____________
27. series_____________ 28. basis______________ 29. tomato_________________
6. COMPLEMENT OF VERBS ENG. 500
Directions: Underline the complements of the verbs in the following sentences. Indicate the kind of complement on the line at the right: direct object, indirect object, predicate noun or pronoun, predicate adjective.
Kind of Complement
31. The crowd seemed restless. _______________________
32. Don't miss the biggest show of the year. _______________________
33. What a fool I have been! _______________________
34. The captain proved a hero. _______________________
35. Did the firm give you a new set of instruments? ____________________________
7. AGREEMENT OF PRONOUN WITH ANTECEDENT ENG. 500
Directions: Underline the correct form of the pronoun enclosed in parentheses. On the line at the right, indicate whether the singular or the plural form of the pronoun should be used in the sentence.
36. Some of the rubber has lost (its, their) elasticity._________________
37. Neither Lowell nor James has finished (their, his) assignment. _________________
38. Neither the boy nor the men brought (their, his) birth certificates. _________________
39. The secretary and the treasurer have presented (his, their) reports. _________________
40. Many a man wishes that (he, they) had gone to college. _________________
8. CORRECT CASE OF PRONOUNS ENG. 500
Directions: Underline the correct form of the pronoun enclosed in parentheses. On the line at the right, indicate the case of the pronoun that should be used in the sentence.
41. Do you remember (me, my) asking for your notes? 42. They believed him to be (I, me).
43. (Who, whom) did you see at the convention?
44. He left the city without (their, them) knowing it.
45. It was (she, her) who designed the rug.
9. COMPARISON OF ADJECTIVES AND ADVERBS ENG. 600
Directions: Fill in the blanks with the correct forms of the adjectives and adverbs enclosed in parentheses. The form you select should be the degree of comparison required in the sentence.
46. These ________ laws are __________ than the laws passed in 1900. (just)
47. Your writing is________ , but mine is __________(bad)
48. Of the three children, Susan speaks (distinctly)
49. This ________ knife is _________ than the one on your desk. (good)
50. He is the ___________ member of the cabinet. (brilliant)
10. VERB FORMS ENG. 700
Directions: Underline the incorrect verb form and write the correct form on the line at the right. If the sentence is correct, write the word correct.
51. When the doctor come, he asked me to park his car. _________________
52. You should have wore a dress suit to that affair. ____________________
53. The old man lay in the shade all afternoon. _________________
54. Have you ever rode in a jeep? _________________
55. The pipes in the cellar bursted during the night. ______________________
11. AGREEMENT OF SUBJECT AND VERB ENG. 800
Directions: Underline the correct form of the verb enclosed in parentheses. On the line at the right, indicate whether the singular or the plural form of the verb should be used in the sentence.
56. Neither the manager nor the supervisor (approves, approve) of the
57. A pension, together with his investments, (guarantees, guarantee)
58. The scissors (was, were) found in the desk. _________________
59. Half of the letters (was, were) filed. __________________
60. (Was, Were) either of the soldiers present at the trial? _________________
12. IDENTIFYING PHRASES ENG. 900
Directions: Underline the phrases in the following sentences. On the line at the right, identify each phrase as one of the following: prepositional phrase, gerund phrase, participial phrase, infinitive phrase. Some sentences have two phrases to be identified.
61. Having passed the examination. Jane was eligible for a teaching
62. The buildings along the wharf are vacant. ____________________
63. The inventor obtained the right to sell his gadget. _________________
64. Being a counselor requires considerable tact. ___________________
65. David received a letter recommending him for the position. __________________
13. SUBORDINATE CLAUSES ENG. 1000
Directions: Underline the subordinate clauses. Indicate the kind of clause on the line at the right: adjective clause, adverbial clause, or noun clause.
66. The fact is that we do not have the equipment. ______________________
67. The house which was sold yesterday was built in 1850. _________________________
68. Since you object to our plan, you should suggest another. __________________________
69. We visited the art galleries when we traveled in Europe. 70. Adams
lived in a period when travel was very slow. _________________________
Directions: Underline the verbals in the following sentences. On the line at the right, indicate whether the verbal is a participle, a gerund, or an infinitive.
71. Did you read the regulations about speeding?
72. We watched the artist decorate the hall. _________________
73. Doctors, called to the scene, examined the men. _______________________
74. Having finished our work, we left early.
75. The old manuscript was interesting. ___________________
15. CORRECT USAGE ENG. 1500
Directions: Underline the incorrect forms in the following sentences. Write the correct form. on the line at the right. Three sentences are correct.
76. Each of the oarsmen did their best. _____________________________
77. The editor-in-chiefs of several newspapers met yesterday._________________________
78. The company gave their employees a raise in salary. _______________________
79. Lately my friend has been acting very peculiar. _________________________
80. Daniel lays carpets for Marshall Field and Company. _______________________
81. He sure sung that ballad remarkable well. ___________________________
82. The northern lights appear frequent in Alaska. _________________________
83. Divide the fruit among the four families. ______________________
84. These lilacs smell fragrant. ________________________
85. How long has the canoe laid on the beach? _______________________